The NFL draft is a highly anticipated event for football fans around the world. It’s a time where teams search for the next big star, hoping to secure their future success. In 2019, one name that was on everyone’s radar was Gardner Minshew. The quarterback had an impressive college career and caught the attention of many NFL scouts. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Gardner Minshew’s journey to the NFL draft, his strengths and weaknesses, and what the future holds for this talented young athlete.
Early Years and College Career: The Rise of Gardner Minshew
Hailing from Brandon, Mississippi, Gardner Minshew didn’t have the typical path to the NFL. He began his high school career as a backup quarterback but quickly proved himself on the field, earning the starting position by his junior year. However, it wasn’t until his senior year that he truly made a name for himself, racking up over 3,500 passing yards and 31 touchdowns.
Despite his impressive stats, Minshew received limited offers from Division I schools and ended up playing for East Carolina University. He started as a backup for the first two years but finally got his chance to start in his junior year. And he didn’t disappoint. Minshew passed for over 3,000 yards and led his team to a bowl game victory. But it was his senior year that put him on the map and caught the attention of NFL scouts.
Strengths: What Makes Gardner Minshew Stand Out?
Gardner Minshew is known for his strong arm and accuracy, making him a threat in the passing game. He has excellent pocket awareness, allowing him to make quick and effective decisions under pressure. His leadership skills are also praised, as he was elected team captain in both college and the NFL.
One of Minshew’s biggest strengths is his mobility. He’s not afraid to scramble and make plays with his feet, which makes him a dual-threat quarterback. This is evident in his college stats, where he rushed for over 1,000 yards and scored 16 touchdowns on the ground.
Weaknesses: Areas for Improvement
While Gardner Minshew has many strengths, there are also areas that he needs to work on. One of the main concerns is his size and arm strength. At 6’1″ and 225 pounds, he may struggle against bigger and more physical defenders in the NFL. Scouts also question if he has enough arm strength to make all the necessary throws at the professional level.
Another area for improvement is his decision-making. While he’s shown great poise under pressure, he has also been known to force throws and make risky decisions. This could lead to turnovers and costly mistakes in the NFL.
How to Use Gardner Minshew Draft to Your Advantage
Gardner Minshew’s draft journey can provide valuable lessons for aspiring athletes and football fans alike. Here are some ways you can use his story to your advantage:
- Work hard and never give up: Despite receiving limited offers, Minshew didn’t let that stop him from pursuing his dream of playing in the NFL. He continuously worked hard and proved himself on the field, ultimately leading to his success.
- Believe in yourself: Even with doubts from others, Minshew remained confident in his abilities and continued to push himself to be the best quarterback he could be.
- Embrace your strengths and work on your weaknesses: Minshew knew what he excelled at and focused on improving those skills while also working on his weaknesses. This well-rounded approach helped him become a better player overall.
Examples of Other Successful Late-Round Picks in the NFL Draft
Gardner Minshew is not the first late-round pick to make a name for himself in the NFL. In fact, there have been many successful players drafted in later rounds who have gone on to have outstanding careers. Some notable examples include:
- Tom Brady (6th round): Widely considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, Brady was drafted 199th overall by the New England Patriots.
- Antonio Brown (6th round): The wide receiver has had a record-breaking career and was drafted 195th overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Richard Sherman (5th round): A five-time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion, Sherman was selected 154th overall by the Seattle Seahawks.
Comparisons: Gardner Minshew vs Other Quarterbacks in the 2019 Draft
The 2019 draft class was filled with talented quarterbacks, including Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins. While each player has their own strengths and weaknesses, here’s how Gardner Minshew compares to the other quarterbacks from the same draft:
- Kyler Murray (1st overall): At just 5’10”, Murray has faced similar concerns about his size as Minshew. However, he is known for his exceptional speed and mobility, making him a dangerous threat on the field.
- Dwayne Haskins (15th overall): Haskins is a big, strong quarterback with a powerful arm. However, he has been criticized for his decision-making and needs to improve his accuracy in the NFL.
Advice for Gardner Minshew and His Future in the NFL
As a late-round pick, many people doubted Gardner Minshew’s potential in the NFL. But he proved them wrong by stepping up to the plate and leading the Jacksonville Jaguars to some impressive victories. As he continues to grow and develop as a player, here are some pieces of advice to help him succeed in the NFL:
- Stay humble and keep working hard: With success comes pressure, but it’s important for Minshew to stay humble and continue putting in the work to improve his game.
- Learn from the veterans: The NFL is a whole new level of competition, and Minshew can learn a lot from seasoned players on his team and in the league. Taking their advice and watching how they play can help him improve and adapt to the pro game.
- Trust in yourself: Gardner Minshew has proven that he belongs in the NFL, and as long as he continues to believe in himself, he can achieve even greater success in the future.
FAQs about Gardner Minshew Draft
1. What round was Gardner Minshew drafted in?
Gardner Minshew was drafted in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL draft, 178th overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars.
2. What college did Gardner Minshew attend?
Gardner Minshew attended East Carolina University before transferring to Washington State University for his senior year.
3. How many games did Gardner Minshew start in the NFL?
As of 2021, Gardner Minshew has started 20 games in the NFL, 12 of which were for the Jacksonville Jaguars and 8 for the Philadelphia Eagles.
4. Has Gardner Minshew won any awards in the NFL?
Gardner Minshew was named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month in September 2019 and AFC Player of the Week in Week 5 of the same year.
5. What are Gardner Minshew’s career stats?
As of 2021, Gardner Minshew has passed for 5,530 yards and 37 touchdowns in the NFL.
Conclusion: Gardner Minshew’s Journey to the NFL Draft
Gardner Minshew’s journey to the NFL draft is a testament to hard work, perseverance, and self-belief. Despite facing doubts and obstacles, he continued to push himself and prove his worth on the field. While his journey has just begun, it’s clear that he has the potential to become a successful quarterback in the NFL. With the right guidance and determination, Gardner Minshew can continue to make a name for himself in the football world and inspire others to never give up on their dreams.
Explore a wide range of Philadelphia Eagles jerseys at Karitavir, where you’ll find a perfect blend of legacy and modern styles. Show your Eagles pride with the dynamic Michael Vick Jersey, perfect for fans of the agile quarterback. Sport the iconic Jake Elliott Kelly Green Jersey and the durable Jason Kelce Kelly Green Jersey for a classic look.
Pay homage to the legendary John Madden with his unique jersey. Relive the glory days with the Nick Foles Eagles Jersey and the vintage Donovan McNabb Kelly Green Jersey. Support current stars with the Gardner Johnson Jersey and the Dallas Goedert Jersey. Opt for another variation of the Nick Foles Jersey for a different style. Don’t miss out on the Brian Dawkins Kelly Green Jersey, a tribute to one of the greatest safeties. Each jersey not only represents your team allegiance but also connects you to the rich history and exciting present of the Eagles.
Get ready for Super Bowl LVIII with the Philadelphia Eagles’ exclusive jersey collection. Showcase your Eagles pride with the dynamic Michael Vick Super Bowl Jersey, a symbol of agility and skill. Celebrate the team’s success with the reliable Jake Elliott Kelly Green Super Bowl Jersey and the steadfast Jason Kelce Kelly Green Super Bowl Jersey.
Honor the coaching legend with the John Madden Super Bowl Jersey. Relive the glory days with the Nick Foles Eagles Super Bowl Jersey and the iconic Donovan McNabb Kelly Green Jersey. Support the current roster with the Gardner Johnson Super Bowl Jersey and the versatile Dallas Goedert Super Bowl Jersey. Don’t miss the dynamic Brian Dawkins Kelly Green Super Bowl Jersey. Each jersey is a testament to the Eagles’ spirit and a must-have for fans ready to cheer their team in the biggest game of the season.